Monday, May 8, 2023

A Deadly Combo by Karen A. Phillips

 Wild Women Authors features debut author Karen A. Phillips and A Deadly Combo, a contemporary cozy mystery starring Raquel, aka Rocky, Nelson who will go first.

Tell us a bit about A Deadly Combo. My twin sister, Bridget, and I retired at age fifty-five from our careers working for the state of California. We had plans to open an acting school for youth, but then she met Steve and they got married.

What made you choose graphic design for a career and boxing for a hobby? I chose graphic design because I always drew or painted. And I chose boxing for a hobby because my dad is a boxer. He taught me the sport.

Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stick with being a graphic artist or do something different? I love being an artist. I wouldn’t change a thing.

What is your biggest fear? I won’t be able to find who killed Wes—and prove my sister is innocent of his murder.

Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Rocky Balboa because he never gives up.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Get up and keep punching.

Thanks for taking time out to speak with us, Rocky, and good luck with your career in art. Now we’d like to chat with Karen.

Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, [or both] have had a major impact on your writing? Author CJ Box. I love his mix of humor and tension. He’s a master of sensory detail. You feel immersed in his books.

With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? I started with the protagonist looking in the mirror after being punched in the face and she has a black eye. I learned having the protagonist looking in a mirror is very cliché. So I changed the first chapter to have action with a great first line.

What are you reading right now? Last Girl Ghosted by Lisa Unger.

What's next for you? Book Two in the Rocky Nelson Boxing Mystery Series

 

To learn more about Karen A. Phillips and the stories she creates, go to:

Website: https://karenaphillips.com/

Facebook: KarenAPhillips/Author

Instagram: kannphillips

Twitter:  @phillips_writes

To purchase, A Deadly Combo, go to:

Amazon: http://ow.ly/GEQu50N7vlF

Barnes and Noble: http://ow.ly/QFLS50N7vlE

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/122869064-a-deadly-combo?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=TssLpLcK0l&rank=1

D2D eBook link: https://books2read.com/u/bwyNRO

4 comments:

  1. How fun! Sure hits the nostalgia button. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on, Kathy! Readers young and "older" will enjoy the story.

      Delete
  2. Rocky sounds like quite the heroine! Loved getting to know her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by and commenting, Kara!

    ReplyDelete