Saturday, May 27, 2023

Rewrites of the Heart

 Her characters jump right off the page—literally.

 Wild Women Authors welcomes Terry Newman and her recent release for the Wild Rose Press: Rewrites of the Heart, a contemporary paranormal romance. With Terry is romance author JJ Spritely who will go first.

Good morning, JJ. Let’s start with where you are from. My legal name is J. Jordan St. Clair and my pen name is JJ Spritely. I grew up in Columbus, Ohio and graduated from The Ohio State University. I also received my masters in American history there. I moved to Bell Wyck, Ohio because I was accepted into the Ph.D. program. And I ended up staying and teaching there, until I resigned to write novels full-time.  

Tell us a bit about Rewrites of the Heart. I’ve resigned myself that Rewrites of the Heart is the story I’ll tell my grandchildren about how the characters from one of my manuscripts came to life. I’m a romance author and Alex Zurich and Blake Teesdale are characters I created for their story Love’s Surprise.

          Well, imagine my surprise when they spring to life one day in my home office. Yeah, it was a bit of a reality check. They adamantly insisted they were the characters I created. And they were on a mission. They thought Kennedy King Cooper, history professor and literary snob, was the man of my dreams. Was he? I didn’t see how could be. He not only hated romance novels, but romance authors as well. You could see how we were incompatible.

          While they’re trying to get me to see the good things about this egomaniac, Alex and Blake discover they can’t make it back home to the pages of their own story. Believe me, it’s not that they didn’t try. I’ll never look at bathtubs in quite the same way again.

What did you think the first time you saw Kennedy King Cooper? My first impression was “Wow. What a handsome man.” We were both standing in front of the history section of a local bookstore, with the Civil Rights Era, and the Civil War staring down at us. I was widowed in my 20s, and still mourned my husband but…

Works for us—something right out of a rom-com. What came next? What a pompous ass. He made a disparaging comment about the romance author signing books at the front of the store. He called romance novels “trash,” and he wondered what kind of person would lower themselves to write the “trash.” He had no idea I was that trash-writing romance author.

Do you feel it was love at first sight? Hardly. He got under my skin something terrible. Of course, if you ask Alex, the heroine from my book, she’d call that love at first sight. But she sees the world through the lens of a romance novel.

What do you like most about him? There’s so much to like about the man. He’s kind and generous and willing to admit his mistakes (like that whole romance novel misunderstanding). But most of all, he’s smart and funny. He keeps me laughing.

How would you describe Professor Cooper? At about six foot, brown hair, and brown eyes, he fills his suit out nicely. But just when you think he’s all business, he flashes a boyish grin.

How would he describe you? Kenn would call me confusing. While he may mention my blond hair and green eyes and even my short stature, confusing is the most descriptive in his mind. He never knows when I’ll get mad at what’s happening to us or when I’ll take in stride.

What made you choose your careers? I was an historian first and perhaps at heart I’ll always be one. I love American history, especially those episodes that hint at conspiracy. And I do love to teach it. It’s satisfying.

          But I also love writing romance novels. Once my first novel sold well, I quit teaching to write full time. Who knew events beyond my control would pull me back into research and teaching.

What is your biggest fear? I think I’ve overcome by biggest fear. It was living without my first husband, who died in a car accident. I lived in fear by withdrawing from the world for far too long. I don’t think much scares me these days.

How do you relax? I wish I could say I take strolls along the beach or watch the sunset, and while I do that on occasion, it’s not typical of me. I make a bowl of popcorn, grab the remote control, and find a sad, romantic movie. I forget about whatever problems I have (including the very real Alex and Blake occupying the same space as me) as I immerse myself in a romance.

Who is your favorite fictional character? You do realize you’re asking this of an author. I have to answer with my own characters. Of all the characters I’ve brought to life, none are more dear to me than Alex Zurich and Blake Teesdale. They’ve taught me so much.

          But if I had to choose a character I didn’t create, I think I’d choose Mosscap, the robot from Becky Chambers’ Monk and Robot series. He’s continually curious and brings a love of life few humans can match.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Alex and Blake made me realize that my life is an open book. And I should enjoy the moments I have, regardless of what others may think of me. Life is too short to do otherwise.

Thanks for spending time with us, JJ. Now we’d like to chat with Terry.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? In my early years, I read The Happy Hollisters series and that was it. I knew I had to write my own books. But every single book I read influences me in some way, from A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle to The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood.

          Everything I read in some way becomes a part of me and is eventually found in my writing. The Love Hypothesis, by the way, is a fake dating trope. I loved it so much, I’m writing a fake dating story of my own.

Is there an event in your private life that you were able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I wrote the original version of Rewrites of the Heart, more than a decade ago. It had a different name. But I wrote it shortly after my husband died. Reading JJ’s story of loss nearly a decade and half after my own, I realize I put a lot of myself into her storyline. I wasn’t in my 20s, but my 50s when my husband passed, but the feelings are the same.

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I first heard about the Wild Rose Press years ago when I attended a local chapter of writing group. They had a representative there. I thought that was so cool. That stuck in my mind. When I searched for publishers, they were tops on my list.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I have The Dead Romantics by Ashley Poston sitting right beside me begging me to open it. Right behind that I have The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas vying for second place. But I have a virtual TBR list of two soon-to-be-released books: Love, Theoretically, by Ali Hazelwood, and 10 Things that Never Happened by Alexis Hall. I’ll be at the bookstore getting physical copies the days they release.

Last, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves?

The Wizard of her Heart, releases May 31. It’s part of The Wild Rose Press’s Jelly Beans and Spring Things series. The main characters in this novella are a wizard who casts love spells over jelly beans and his skeptical new employee who thinks he’s, well, deceiving himself and others. The tag line: She’s certain he’s no wizard. He’s sure she’s pure magic.

          I’m currently working on Hearts on the Rocks, a story about two doctoral students who decide to pretend to date so they don’t get set up on blind dates. I’m hoping that will release sometime in 2024.

 To purchase Rewrites of the Heart go to: https://books2read.com/u/mY8NLV   

To learn more about Terry Newman and what she’s up to, go to:

Website: https://terrynewmanauthor.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NewmanWrites

Twitter: https://twitter.com/tnewmanwrites

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/terry.newman.31521/

TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@terrynewman614

No comments:

Post a Comment